From 1931 to 1936, 5000 man continuously worked to build Hoover dam, a technical master piece. The result is still worth a visit.
The Hoover Dam is one of the 7 American industrial wonders and after all these years it still is a “hotspot” to a lot of tourists. Halfway the Dam is the state border with Arizona. Las Vegas is located only 34 miles from the Hoover Dam.
Hoover Dam Facts and info
- Boulder Dam was renamed in 1947 to Hoover Dam (President Herbert Hoover)
- More than 100 people died during its construction.
- The first man who died was J.G. Tierney.
- The last man who died was Patrick Tierney, J.G. Tierney’s son.
- Type of dam: Concrete gravity-arch.
- The construction cost Hoover dam: 49 million dollars (1931).
- Boulder City was built to house the workers
- Lake Mead is the Hoover Dam’s reservoir.
- To build the Hoover Dam they used so many concrete that they could build a highway from east to west coast of the USA?
- On the way from Las Vegas to Grand Canyon National Park you drive over the Hoover Dam.
- Travel time Las Vegas to Hoover Dam 41 minutes.
- You can book a Hoover Dam tour in Las Vegas.
More information Hoover Dam
Video Hoover Dam
Photos Hoover Dam
Some pictures of The Hoover Dam: