There’s a lot that goes into making Las Vegas the dream gambling destination, but something that might not jump to the forefront of your thinking and that is fundamentally important; the dealer. Whether you avidly look on at the Las Vegas Live Casino dealers with awe or apprehension, one thing is for sure, not everybody (in fact very few people) could do the job. Live casino dealers can make or break a game, and a player’s time at the table, they are responsible for everything from the moment you sit down till you take your chips and walk away. To make sure you’re getting the most from your Las Vegas experience it’s important to know the ins and outs of what being a casino dealer means and what skills are needed to get into the profession.
The Role of a Las Vegas Live Casino Dealer
So what exactly does it take to be a live casino dealer in Las Vegas and how is their role more than just simply dealing cards and giving out chips?
The short answer……an unbelievable amount of skill, dedication and study go into being a casino dealer. You’d also be totally off the mark to believe the job is just a case of doling out the cards and dosh. It is a multifaceted and highly complex job. Some of the fundamental skills dealers need are explored by Unibet in this excellent article about Live Casino dealers, which is full of insider details from seasoned pros Marc Shumsker, Matt Costa and Susan Wheatley, it’s well worth a read and will even divulge their secret confessions. I don’t want to cover old ground in this post, but to summarise dealers need to be;
- Invisible and yet responsible for the whole table from shuffling cards, to giving out chips, and making sure the gameplay is smooth.
- Intelligent perfectionists who do not make mistakes; for any player at any casino the dealer must be faultless, mistakes are unforgivable.
- Casino experts and masters of their tables (they will have studied and practised their game and know the rules and play inside out).
- Brilliant and welcoming hosts.
- Statisticians who can instantly calculate payouts on bets (see if you can give it a go by calculating the Roulette payouts on this page).
- Strict rule keepers and confident enforcers.
- Constantly on the ball with a quick mind and hand to match.
- Lastly, a casino dealer needs to be able to roll with the blows and learn on their feet because every day will bring a new challenge, customer or scenario.
Not too demanding eh, what’d ya think could you give it ago?
The Pros of the Profession
So, for all that hard work that your dealer puts into mastering their profession and for giving players the perfect experience what can they expect back?
- Never to be unemployed. Due to the huge growth of the casino industry, it’s pretty much guaranteed that a good dealer will never be out of work. The global gaming industry just keeps growing and is already estimated to be worth more than a gobsmacking $110 billion USD for 2018. On top of that, it’s pretty much recession-proof as history proves equalling great job security.
- Dealers get to constantly meet a flow interesting people and the range of customers is pretty much unparalleled elsewhere as are the tips and great wages to boot.
- A casino dealers’ job can take them across the world from Las Vegas to Macau and Monte Carlo, so wherever you end up playing, your dealer should have some fine tales to tell.
If you’re off to Las Vegas or being a live casino dealer is your dream job make sure you know more about what exactly your dealer should be doing and their responsibilities to you as a player at their table. Don’t forget to check out the juicy details from a dealer’s perspective in full here.
Happy gambling and Viva Las Vegas!